Protein-packed quinoa and grass-fed Kerrygold Irish cheese are a natural pair that will lure your entire household into the kitchen with the aromas they create together. This whole grain vegetarian dish holds its own as a main course but also makes a delightful side to lean meat, chicken or fish.
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Kerrygold Reduced FatDubliner Cheese
- 1 egg plus 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium tomato, chopped
- Olive oil cooking spray
Combine onion, quinoa, bell pepper, Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese, egg and egg whites, garlic and chili powder, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl and mix gently with a spoon or spatula. Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, measure half cup portions of the quinoa mixture and turn out into the pan, flattening each until 1/2-inch thick. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bottom is browned and the cake is firm. Flip cakes over and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Top each serving with half the chopped avocado and tomato, dividing equally. If serving as individual cakes, top each with 1 tablespoon of chopped avocado and tomato.