- 25g (1oz) butter, softened
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 thick slices of stale white bread
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon basil or marjoram, chopped
- 400ml (14fl oz) milk
- 100ml (3½fl oz) cream
- 3 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 75g (2½oz) Cheddar or other leftover hard cheeses, grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4. Mix the softened butter and the finely chopped garlic together, then use a little of the mixture to grease a shallow baking dish or tin. Use the rest to butter the stale slices of white bread, then cut them in half diagonally.
Arrange the buttered bread slices in the baking dish, making sure they overlap. Tuck the cherry tomatoes in and around the slices of bread. Sprinkle over the chopped basil or marjoram, whichever you’re using.
Whisk the milk, the cream and the eggs together, seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour this mixture over the bread and gently push the slices down in the liquid. Leave to stand for five minutes.
Scatter the grated hard cheese over the top, then bake for 35-40 minutes until the dish is golden and just set.