Salted Caramel & Chocolate Mousse
Chill Time60 mins
What you need:
For the salted caramel sauce
- 125g/4oz Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Water
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 170ml carton Double Cream
- ½ tsp sea salt
For the mousse
- 350g Dark Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 50g/2oz Butter
- ½ tsp Goodall’s Vanilla Extract
- 8 Eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
- Double Cream, whipped
- Chocolate, grated
- For the salted caramel sauce, place the sugar, two tablespoons water and golden syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When the sugar has turned a rich amber colour, remove from the heat and stir in the butter, cream and salt. Pour into a bowl, cover the surface with cling film and cool completely.
- For the mousse, melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water – ensuring that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Set aside to cool a little. Then whisk the egg yolks into the cooled chocolate mixture and add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to a light foam then add the caster sugar and whisk again until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Stir a third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then carefully fold in the remaining egg whites until well incorporated
- Pour a tablespoon of salted caramel sauce into the bottom of each serving glass. Top with one-third of the mousse mixture. Drizzle over enough sauce to cover the mousse. Repeat this layering with mousse and caramel, finishing with a final layer of mousse.
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving. If chilled for longer, remove 30 minutes before serving. Finish with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.