- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- To make pastry, sift the flour, add the caster sugar and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough beaten egg to bind the pastry. The pastry can also be made using a food processor.
- Cut a circle of parchment to fit a large pastry dish, sprinkle with flour, roll out the pastry on the floured parchment and then slide it into the dish and bake blind for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the ingredients for compote for 3 – 4 minutes.
- When pastry is baked, fill with the apple and cranberry compote.
- To make the crumble topping, combine the flour, sugar, butter and oats in a food processor until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. (Add the oats last if you would like them to stay coarse and be visible in the crumble).
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Our Odlums Self Raising Flour is a plain flour with added raising agents. Great for baking, it is ideal for cupcakes. Also perfect for sponges, scones and tea breads.
OUR INGREDIENTS: Wheat Flour. Raising Agents (Sodium Bicarbonate, Acid Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate).
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten, see ingredients in bold. Packed on a line that also handles Soya, Egg and Milk.
Source of fibre. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Pastry 175g/6oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour Pinch of Salt 75g/3oz Butter/Margarine Cold Water Topping 75g/3oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour 125g/4oz Butter/Margarine 125g/4oz Caster Sugar 100g packet Shamrock Ground Almonds 2 Eggs 2 teaspoons Goodall’s Almond Extract/Essence 2 tablespoons Fruitfield Raspberry Jam Shamrock Flaked Almonds to decorate
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease an 11 x 7”/ 28x 18cm Swiss Roll tin.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in the margarine and add sufficient water to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board, roll out and line the Swiss Roll tin. Cover and leave in the fridge while making the topping.
To make topping
- Melt the margarine in a pan over a low heat.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar, ground almonds and strong flour.
- Mix well, then beat in the eggs and almond essence. Leave to cool a little.
- Remove pastry from the fridge; spread the jam over the top of the pastry base.
- Pour the topping over the jam.
- Decorate with flaked almonds and bake for 35-40 mins. until pale golden in colour.
- When cool, cut into slices.