Great as a salad served with barbecue food
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Preparation time: 5 Minutes
- 500g/1 lb very small new potatoes
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced into strips
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- Salt and a little freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh chives or fresh parsley or both
- (If you can’t get fresh herbs you can now buy frozen parsley and chives in the supermarket)
Scrub the new potatoes and cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile heat 2 tablespoonfuls of the oil and fry the strips of pepper in it.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and put them together with the onion in a bowl.
Add another tablespoonful of oil to the peppers in the pan and pour them over the potatoes.
Toss, season with salt and pepper and garnish with the chopped herbs.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
A quality black pudding, like Clonakilty, is essential for this dish
- 4-6 potatoes
- 2 tablesp. olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 8 slices of black pudding
- 100g wild mushrooms e.g., oyster, shitake
- 2 dessert apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 tablesp. sherry vinegar or wine vinegar
- Knob of butter
Grate the potatoes. Put into a bowl of water as you grate, then drain and squeeze out the excess moisture. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the grated potatoes and seasoning. Press into the pan shape, allow to cook until nicely browned then turn over and cook on the other side. When completely cooked slide onto a warm plate and keep warm. Heat a little more oil and sauté the pudding and mushrooms together for a few minutes. Then sauté the apples. Add the sherry vinegar to the apples, boil up the juices, add in knob of butter and seasoning.
Place the pudding and mushrooms on the bed of potatoes, pour over the apples and juices. Cut the potato cake into wedges and serve.
Sticky, sweet, flaky and nutty, a small slice of baklava goes a long way, especially with a cup of strong coffee. Serve after a mezze feast. Once you’ve unwrapped the filo pastry from its packet make sure you keep it under a damp tea towel until you are ready to use or it will crack and dry out.
- 16 tbsp (8oz) Kerrygold Salted Butter, extra for greasing
- 12 sheets filo pastry, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup (4oz) pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (4oz) walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground cardamom