I have to admit that I have a very serious addiction to porridge! I crave it all the time and secretly wish that I could eat it for every meal every day, that’s how much I love it. I just love how warming and soothing it is, it’s like eating a giant hug. Plus it’s so creamy and you can top it with all your favourite things to create something insanely delicious. I normally add banana slices, fresh berries and lots of almond butter, plus some cacao nibs and pumpkin seeds for a little crunch!
This porridge recipe is an absolute saviour for those of you that have busy mornings as it only takes 3 minutes to make – how amazing is that! It also means that there’s now no excuse not to eat a beautifully healthy and energising breakfast every day. The secret to this recipe being so easy and speedy is that we soak the oats in boiling water for ten minutes, during this time you can get dressed and ready for the day while the oats soften perfectly. After those ten minutes the oats are soft enough to eat, so all you need to do is heat them up and add your toppings, which only takes three minutes – it’s like the best, healthiest instant porridge!Serves 2
– 2/3 of a cup of oats (100g)
– 2/3 of a cup of boiling water (200ml)
-1/3 of a cup of almond milk (100ml)
– Almond butter
– Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and cacao nibs
Start by placing the oats in a saucepan with the boiling water, stir it together and then let it sit with the lid of the pan on for 10 minutes.
Once the oats have soaked and are soft, place the pan on a hob and heat it up with the almond milk for 3-4, stirring it every minute or so.
Then serve with your favourite toppings.
Health and taste come together in this delicious Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart. A wonderful pizza alternative by celebrity chef and Whirlpool ambassador, Catherine Fulvio.
For the roasted vegetables
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 2 medium courgettes, sliced diagonally
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 2 tbsp rape seed oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 375g pack ready rolled puff pastry
- 4 tbsp basil pesto
- 180g ricotta
- Egg wash, 1 egg and 2tbsp water
- 60g feta, crumbled
- Chive lengths, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 (oC/fan) or 160 (oC/gas 4). Place the onions, courgettes and red pepper slices into a roasting pan and drizzle with oil, sprinkle over the paprika as well as the chives. Roast for about 15mins until just tender. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Increase the temperature of the oven to 190 (oC/fan) 170 (oC/gas 3). Place the pastry on a piece of baking parchment onto a baking tray. Measure a 1 ½ cm edge around the pastry, using a sharp knife cut out the edge, carefully not to slice all the way through. Using a fork, prick the inner rectangle of the pastry and brush with egg wash. Bake for 20mins until golden. Remove from the oven and press the inner pastry rectangle down slightly.
- Combine the basil pesto and ricotta and spread over the pastry leave the edge.
- Arrange the roasted vegetable on top and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle over a little rapeseed oil. Sprinkle over the feta and bake for about 7 to 8 mins until the feta is slightly golden.
- Arrange the chive lengths on top and serve immediately.
Any vegetables can be used like roasted sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes and artichokes and sprinkle over chopped rosemary.
Recipe courtesy of Whirlpool. http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes