- 300ml Millac Gold Double or cooking cream
- 300g Skinned smoked mackerel fillets
- Juice from 2 medium lemons
- 75g Lakeland Dairies Unsalted butter
- 2 tspn Horseradish sauce
- 2 tspn Dijon mustard
- 1 level tspn Ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber
Put the cucumber aside.
Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until you achieve a smooth past, scrapping down as necessary.
Cut the cucumber into 0.5cm slices and arrange on a plate, pipe the mousse onto the cucumber slices or quenelle using two dessert spoons.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- To make pastry, sift the flour, add the caster sugar and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough beaten egg to bind the pastry. The pastry can also be made using a food processor.
- Cut a circle of parchment to fit a large pastry dish, sprinkle with flour, roll out the pastry on the floured parchment and then slide it into the dish and bake blind for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the ingredients for compote for 3 – 4 minutes.
- When pastry is baked, fill with the apple and cranberry compote.
- To make the crumble topping, combine the flour, sugar, butter and oats in a food processor until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. (Add the oats last if you would like them to stay coarse and be visible in the crumble).
- Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.